Saturday, August 2, 2014

From White to Yellow

More blogs. Yey! So for this blog, I'm going to talk about my promotion, from white belt to yellow belt.
So my promotion day was 3 days after the Mangahan Tournament. We had little time to prepare of the promotion but the good thing was, that I was a white belt, and the promotion from white to yellow is very easy compared to higher belts. So our forms, or Poomsae in Korean, was pretty basic.



In the picture above, I was practicing with my friends, Nikolai Valera from SVFS (Now in San Augustine) and Zachary Pijuan from Westbridge. I forget to mention about Zach representing Westbridge in my last blog.

The promotion day was on May 21, 2014. It was held by one of the gyms owned by the head instructor of the Taekwondo team in WVSU, Sir Richard Gabayoyo, in Buenavista, Guimaras. Our proctor was Sir Jun Diasnes. Our gym instructor, Lawrence Diasnes, told us stories on how strict Sir Jun can be. So I was frightened to actually confront Sir Jun, but when it was the promotion day itself, he looked kind, he was even making jokes. I didn't expect that from him.

When we began the promotion, I thought I was going to be scared. But for the first time, I was actually calm. Hell, I even felt confident. I knew I was ready for the promotion, so I had nothing to worry about. Though, I did make a mistake in one of my forms, but I guess it wasn't a big mistake because even Sir Jun commented that my forms was great during our interview. Speaking of which, during the interview that is where I got scared. I actually had to study a bit about Taekwondo to be prepared. I was expecting hard, unanswerable questions, but what I got were easy ones. He simply asked for the 5 tenets of Taekwondo, reasons why I joined, and he told me that my forms were "very good". I was happy to hear what he said. My friends told me not to worry, they told me that no fails the first promotion test, so I felt reassured. At the end of the promotion, Sir Jun announced that all of us passed, we all cheered and gave praise to ourselves after hearing that.

After the promotion, we all went back to the port and rode a pump boat home. It was tiring yet fulfilling day for all of us.




No comments:

Post a Comment