Saturday, August 2, 2014

My First Fight

Yey! Another blog! Okay, I'm not really fond of making blogs but for this blog, I'm going to talk about my first Taekwondo match. 

May 19. 2014, tournament day. Our team entered the 1st Mangahan Taekwondo Tournament, which was held in San Miguel, Jordan, Guimaras. To me, this was the most frightening experience of my life. I was still new to the whole match thing and I didn't know if I was ready. There were a lot of contestants that entered that tournament. Players that came from different Taekwondo gyms all over Panay, well, not really. But there was a team from Boracay and I think it was also their first match.


And yeah, my brother decided to take a photo of me eating a hard boiled egg. I waited a very, very, VERY long time. It took them 6 hours to announce my name for the next match. During the waiting time I felt a little relaxed, until my name was called up, and I felt like my soul just went out of my body. What shocking to me is when I realized I was matched up with my teammate from our summer class. I actually felt comfortable, knowing that he would be my opponent since we've been practicing the whole summer. We always had sparring sessions, so I sort of knew what his game style was. I felt confident, I believed in myself and my own skills. I set it in my head that I CAN win this fight, unfortunately I lost. But it was not in vain. My friends told me for a beginner, I was pretty good. They said I had potential, and I was very happy to hear all the positive feed backs. Especially from my opponent. He was pretty impressed himself.

After the tournament, we ended the day by exploring a bit. Bought some mango flavored treats, mango themed souvenirs and ate pizza topped with mangoes. That day was one of the happiest days in my life and I don't plan of forgetting everything that had happened that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment